The Recruits Training School (RTS) is located 22 Kms from Eldoret town, Uasin ֠Gishu County.Before 7th July 2008 it was a constituent School of Armed Forces Training College (AFTC), Lanet now The Kenya Military Academy (KMA).
It has since been detached from KMA and currently operates independently as the only Recruits Training institution in Kenya. Established back in 1955, it functioned as a training centre for Kenya Regiment based in Lanet, Nakuru County. This was an additional force to the Kings African Rifles (KR) composed of British settlers who provided reserve forces for the colonial government.
At that time, the training of troops in East and Central Africa was done in Jinja Uganda and Lanet in Kenya. The ҋenya Regiment troopsҠtraining was terminated in 1961 in anticipation of Kenyaӳ independence. The new training centre was renamed The East Africa Training Centre (EATC) and continued training troops from Central and Eastern Africa and supervising troops training at the Unitӳ level.
In 1969 the recruits wing was started as a single division at Lanet and in 1970, the centre was renamed Armed Forces Training College (AFTC). On 18 March 1971, the first intake of resident recruits commenced training in the college.